At Hostway we pride ourselves on the reliability and clarity of our Domain Name pricing and processes. Here’s what you need to know when you purchase a domain name from us.
- All domain name pricing is calculated per year exclusive of VAT, with no hidden charges and no setup fees.
- We encourage registrants to register over a longer term by offering discounts according to the length of subscription. See our full pricing table for further details of these!
- You can register domain names without requiring a hosting plan. Add web hosting at a later date, when you need to, through SiteControl.
Registration Agreement / DNR Terms
- Customers are obliged to adhere to Hostway’s terms and conditions for all Domain Name Registrations processed by our registraion arm DomainPeople Inc, as per our Domain Registration Agreement (DNR Terms).
- Registrants are also invited to check Nominet’s Terms and Conditions which they also agree to be bound by when purchasing .uk domains from us.
Dispute Resolution / Complaints
- In addition to our standard channel of support (see above), we also provide the address firstname.lastname@example.org as a means through which registrants or members of the public can alert us to issues they are experiencing with their own domain names, or those belong to others (e.g. Domain Name ownership disputes). No charges are made for this service.
- Where necessary we will work with all applicable registrar bodies including ICANN, Nominet and WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) for the purposes of dispute resolution, as per the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy contained within our DNR terms.
- The cost of renewing your chosen domain is generally the same as that indicated on our website pricing table.
- We do however reserve the right to change pricing at any time. Details of changes are always posted on the website pricing table.
Inbound or Outbound Transfers
- It is Hostway policy NOT to charge for inbound or outbound transfer fees at any time. There are no surprises when you join, and there are none when the time comes to leave.
- Please read our ‘Move Your Domain’ page for instructions on how to transfer your domain to/away from Hostway.
Charges for Additional Domain Maintenance
- DNS/MX Record Changes are FREE
- Nameserver updates are charged at £4.95+VAT per change.
Free Domain Parking
- A page is set up automatically when your domain name is activated and may feature content sourced by one of our content providers to assist the visitor’s online search.
- You do not need to take any actions to receive the free parking page. After 48 hours of your domain name being registered, you should type your domain name in your browser while connected to the Internet; you should be able to pull up your parking page. Without a parking page, visitors will receive a “site not found” error message.
- You can opt out of the free Domain Parking service at any time in SiteControl – either by ordering a hosting plan for your domain name, by setting up Domain Forwarding so your domain ‘points’ to another area of webspace, or by setting up the Business Card Park Page.
- Auto-Renew is a free service, accessible via the “Auto-Renew Status” link in the Domain Name section of SiteControl, and will automatically renew any domain name 30 days before the expiration date if you have opted in to that. For further details, requirements and exceptions, please check the Auto-Renew page.
- If you would like us to handle the registration of multiple domains you can use our bulk registration form, or contact our sales team on on 0808 180 1880 or email@example.com further assistance and bespoke pricing.
Domain Name Support
Domain Support Contacts
- As Hostway customers, all registrants have access to our Technical Support team FREE of charge, who are available 24/7 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 0845 230 1880 (inside the UK) or +44 (0)207 538 8000 opt 1 (int’l).
- For questions about Selecting, Registering, Transferring, or Renewing domain names please view our Domain Name FAQ
- For questions about using Hostway’s DNR Services and Features (including the Parking Page policy) please view our Domain Name Registration FAQ
- In addition to our general FAQs, there are separate FAQ’s for most types of domain name, please consult the releveant section of our site.
The Domain Lifecycle
The various stages in the lifecycle of a domain name can be confusing and vary depending on the TLD. The following is the basic lifecycle stages for .com, .net and .org domain names:
Active (1-10 years)
After purchasing a domain, it will be active for 1 to 10 years, depending on the length of the registration term purchased.
On Hold (1-45 days)
When the registrant does not renew their domain name, it will be put on hold for a period of 1-45 days before a delete command is issued. If you have a Web site for your domain name, it may no longer operate during this period. The original registrant can still renew their domain name during this period.
Redemption Grace Period (30 days)
After the hold period, the domain will be put into a redemption grace period (RGP) by the registry. During this time your Web site will no longer operate. The original registrant can renew their domain name for a redemption fee.
Pending Delete Period (5 days)
After the registry issues the delete command, the domain goes into the pending delete period, just before it’s released to the general public.
Once the deletion process completes, the domain name is released to the general public for registration.
* All prices exclude VAT where applicable. All plans, packages and offers are subject to terms and conditions of sale available on the site.
© Hostway Corporation. All rights reserved.
A global web hosting leader, Hostway has strategic locations in the United States and Europe, including the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Romania and Germany, as well as Korea, India, and Australia.